Re: [Phys-L] [ Academic BS and other

On 2015, Dec 03, , at 11:11, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

2) He's absolutely right that if you go to a conference and don't
interact with people, you're mostly wasting your time. A great
deal of useful work gets done in the corridors, involving people
who are skipping this-or-that talk.

Garrett Hardin told me (c. 1965) science advanced more at the bar than at the meetings' “talks".

As usual, all the extremes are wrong. Sometimes giving a great
talk is a way if "introducing" yourself. There might be some
guy in the audience who likes the talk and ends up making you
a life-changing job offer. Guess how I know.

That’s how I got my job at the Naval Postgrad. School. (More correctly my questions of the speaker who hired me.)

bc, wasn’t great but worked, and not life changing, but very enjoyable, and military informing.

After substituting in a local HS, I found the students scholars and gentlemen and women.