Re: [Phys-L] [ Academic BS and other

I can't tell if this is bullshit or not, but it declares itself (in fifteen
journal pages <http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.pdf>), to be an
academic study of bullshit.

The primary author, Gordon Pennycook
<https://uwaterloo.ca/psychology/people-profiles/gordon-pennycook>, a Ph.D.
candidate in Cognitive Psychology at the University of Waterloo, appears to
have already published over two dozen articles.

I thank Bernard Cleyet <http://www.cleyet.org/> for bringing this to the
attention of the Phys-L community.

My personal opinion is that the trail-blazing work of Sokal
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair> has set a standard that will
be extremely difficult to match, let alone exceed, despite the many noble
attempts reported in the invaluable Journal of Improbable Research
<http://www.improb.com/>.

I, for one, am always appreciate of these cross-disciplinary opportunities.
With due consideration after years of penal servitude on promotion and
tenure committees, I think that, regardless of the academic merits of this
publication, mastery of bullshit will advance one's career in academia
<http://jameshaytonphd.com/academic-career-harsh-truths/> a great deal.
--
Jim