Re: [Phys-L] vectors in the K12 curriculum

OK...said I didn't know where we were at today, but the next step is to actually go into an intro college physics class and see how much students actually know about vectors. I think many here would answer 'not much'. That would not be an unusual response for just about anything in the HS curricula unless one had a class of the brightest, most ambitious, and (mostly) privately educated students in the class. Teaching (or reteaching) vectors in College, intro, problem-solving courses has been the norm and I suspect will remain the norm for instructors.

At the College from which I am recently retired, the students entering the Calculus-based physics course did have some vector work in their first year of math courses so one could build on that, but those in the Algebra based course (even just a couple years ago) seemed clueless unless 'retrained'.

rwt