Re: [Phys-L] Lenz's law and conservation of energy

On 04/03/2014 04:41 PM, Rauber, Joel wrote:
You find the energy argument to be unnecessary and non-constructive;
but do you find it invalid? Your executive summary seems to imply
"no" to the question of validity to the energy alone argument.

However further down, where you refer to "covering all the bases" as
necessary for a "contrafactual" argument; you suggest that the energy
argument alone does not suffice; from which I infer a response of
"yes" to the validity of the energy argument (since all the bases
aren't covered).

Interesting question. It's a moving target. Let me explain:

1) The energy argument /as it originally appeared/ stood alone
and purported to prove the result. I consider this to be invalid
(as well as unnecessary and non-constructive). It is invalid
because it is incomplete, and does not prove what it purports
to prove. It does not cover all the bases.

2) Conservation of energy could be used as a lemma within a much
more elaborate argument. The overall argument could be arranged
to be valid, to cover all the bases. However, the overall argument
would still be non-constructive, and all the more unnecessary.

The constructive derivation, based on V = flux_dot and V = IR,
provides so much more bang for the buck that I am having a hard
time figuring out why anybody would bother with a complicated
argument that /at best/ only gives you the sign of the effect.
What's the attraction? I just don't get it.

I know there are some students who have a phobia about learning
the Maxwell equations, but c'mon folks, how hard is it to learn
V = flux_dot? Given the choice between learning Lenz's law and
learning V = flux_dot, I'm gonna go with the latter, because it
is about 1000 times more useful. It gives you Lenz's law and
999 other things for free.