Re: [Phys-L] Lenz's law and conservation of energy

Executive summary: I still find the energy argument to be
unnecessary ... and also non-constructive. The constructive
calculation based on V = flux_dot and V = IR works just fine.
Here I mean "constructive" as in "constructive proof" as
opposed to proof by contradiction. In particular, the
constructive calculation provides far more insight as to
what happens for zero resistivity, low resistivity, high
resistivity, and everything in between ... whereas the
proof by contradiction doesn't give you much more than the
sign of the effect. So again this is a 100% solid physics
reason *and* a pedagogical reason to prefer the V = flux_dot
and V = IR approach.