Re: [Phys-L] Lenz's law and conservation of energy

On 04/03/2014 08:14 AM, Philip Keller wrote:
A u-shaped circuit is closed by a bar that can slide across the
rails. There is a magnetic field directed down into the plane of the
rails. I apply a constant force to drag the bar to the right.

OK.

There are a number of ways to predict the direction of the resulting
current. One of them is to say that the increase in the enclosed
flux due to the increased area of the loop must be opposed by the
outward field caused by the resulting counter-clockwise current.

That sounds fine to me.

Is that not an example of Lenz's law?

Clearly several key elements of the physics are the same here,
the same as in classical instances of Lenz's law. In this case
we have a changing loop, and in the other case we have a changing
field. If you want to label these the same, that's OK with me.
If somebody else wants to emphasize the differences, that's also
OK with me. I can't get very excited about terminology at this
level. De gustibus non disputandum.

And if the current were to flow in the direction opposite to that
predicted by Lenz's law, would I not get a current that would help me
to drag the bar? Couldn't I then let go of the bar and let that
induced current continue to accelerate the bar for me, thus producing
free energy?

I am still skeptical of this kind of energy argument. It strikes
me as a Kiplingesque just-so story.

The problem is, if you teach students to make this argument, they
will apply it to other situations where it gets the wrong answer.

As an obvious and important example of what I'm saying, suppose
we set up two masses fairly near each other in otherwise-empty
space. I drag one mass toward the other at a steady rate. So
far, this is very closely analogous to the wire-on-rails example.
So far, so good.

☠ Now we make the argument that if there were a force in the same
☠ direction as the imposed motion, it would allow me to get energy
☠ "for free". The system would be unstable. This obviously cannot
☠ happen, so ............

The indented paragraph is completely wrong. In reality there *is*
a force in the direction of motion. In reality there *are* some
systems that are unstable. Gravitational instability *does*
release energy.

Maybe it's obvious to you that the wire-on-rails system is stable,
but AFAICT you haven't proved this, much less explained it.

At the very least I strongly suggest this be labeled a /stability/
argument not a "conservation of energy" argument. That's because
unstable systems conserve energy just like stable systems do. In
particular, almost any distribution of dust in interstellar space
is unstable against the effects of gravity, unstable against
condensation into stars and galaxies ... yet it conserves energy
just fine.

If you want to teach your students how to make stability arguments,
that's 100% fine with me, but please let's do it right. Start by
explaining that equilibrium ≠ stability ≠ damping ≠ conservation.
This stuff gets short shrift (or none at all) on the typical high-
school syllabus, but it is at least as interesting and at least as
useful as a lot of stuff that does get emphasized.

On the other hand ..... you do not need the energy argument to
fully explain the wire-on-rails situation. It suffices to know
that the resistivity is positive in Ohm's law. In an ordinary
resistive chunk of metal, charges move so as to null out the
electric field.

This applies to electric charges in an electric field, but
*not* to dust particles in a gravitational field. The latter
move so as to augment the field! This is how you know that
there cannot possibly be any deep conservation of energy
principle involved here. Energy arguments apply equally to
electromagnetism and gravitation.

Again: You do not need the energy argument to explain the wire-
on-rails situation. My advice:
a) Stay away from energy conservation arguments in this situation.
b) If you want to make a stability argument, that's fine, but
only if you have already laid the proper groundwork.
c) If you want to introduce the ideas of equilibrium, stability,
damping, spontaneity, et cetera, Lenz's law is not the best
introductory situation. There are lots of simpler and clearer
examples. I generally start with weights taped to a bicycle
wheel:
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/equilib.html