Re: [Phys-L] Nonequivalence of equivalence principles

On 12/29/2014 06:45 AM, Savinainen Antti wrote:
It turns out that the standard formulations are not equivalent, and
they can be used in analyzing competing theories of gravity.

It's surprisingly tricky to come up with a good statement
of "the" equivalence principle. Most of the typical informal
versions are provably wrong.

Here's how I think about it:

Executive summary: The equivalence principle says that
/one particular term/ in the Taylor series is indistinguishable
from an accelerated reference frame. Almost anything else
you might like to say turns out to be not true.

1) In a wide range of classical and "nearly classical"
situations, the predominant part of the gravitational
interaction can be described in terms of a potential.

2) If we stay away from singularities, we can expand
this potential in a Taylor series as a function of
position.

3) The leading term in this series is the background
potential. This has absolutely no physical significance.
We can make it go away by means of a gauge transformation.

4) The next term is the one we think of as "the"
gravitational acceleration. The equivalence principle
states that this term is indistinguishable from an
acceleration of the reference frame. Therefore it
has "almost" zero physical significance. If everybody
is accelerating the same, nobody notices.

This term gives a potential that varies linearly with
position.

5) At this level of approximation, the equivalence of
inertial mass and gravitational mass is a direct
corollary of item (4).

6) The next term is the tidal stress. It gives us a
lowest-order description of how the previous term (the
acceleration) varies from place to place. This term
has unmistakable physical significance. It is gauge
independent and frame independent.

This term give a potential that varies quadratically
with position. The tidal stress on the earth has
roughly the symmetry of x^2 + y^2 - 2 z^2.

7) The "predominant" part mentioned in item (1) is not
actually the whole story. Just as in electromagnetism
the electrostatic potential is not the whole story,
in gravitation the gravitational potential is not the
whole story. A moving source produces gravimagnetic
fields that are not the gradient of any potential.
This has been observed experimentally. This is
approximately the hardest experiment ever done,
because the effect is so small.
http://einstein.stanford.edu/highlights/status1.html

Therefore any claim that gravitation and inertia are
equivalent cannot possibly be true. You have to make
a much more careful statement about certain things
being asymptotically equivalent in certain limits.

8) It's even worse than that. There are three things:
a) Inertial mass.
b) Mass that /responds/ to a given gravitational field
c) Mass that serves as a /source/ for the gravitational
field.

Asserting that (a) is equivalent to (b) does not mean
that either of them is equivalent to (c). The third
law of motion imposes some symmetries between the source
point and the field point, but there is still a lot of
wiggle room. For example, rather than the usual bilinear
form

φ = G m1 m2 / r [1]

you could have perhaps a trilinear form

φ = G m1 m2 m3 / r [2]

This would not violate the third law of motion, and would
not violate the equivalence of gravitational mass and
inertial mass for a test particle. Weirder things happen
all the time. Quantum mechanics is highly nonlinear.
Just look at the periodic table: there is not a smooth
linear variation of properties as we go from H to U.

I'm not suggesting that [2] is a viable theory, but I am
saying that there are a lot of ways to have an equivalence
principle that is true if interpreted one way but not another.
There is a vigorous cottage industry devoted to cooking up
nonlinear theories of gravity. Indeed GR is already nonlinear.

Bottom line: There is one piece of the the gravitational
interaction that is indistinguishable from an acceleration
of the reference frame. This has tremendous historical and
heuristic importance, but it should not be taken as gospel.
If you extend it in almost any direction, you get nonsense.