Re: [Phys-L] 9th grade energy resource projects

Against the general trends of this list, for almost all students up to their second year in a science or engineering major, I would suggest religious adherence to the KISS principle!

However, I do remember my Schwinn Traveler (circa 1954) which had a generator to power a headlight and tail light. You clicked the thing into place and a small diameter ridged wheel turned against the tire. It was 'painfully' clear that it took more effort to move the bike with the generator in place and also clear that the faster you went the brighter the light. [Probably the reason these things went out of favor since you had no light when stopped and very dim at low speed. Not much of a safety device...but then it was the 50s where I remember sitting on my Dad's lap thinking I was steering the car as we drove down the street.]

Rick