Re: [Phys-L] Landau and Lifschitz: statistical physics v.5

On 07/11/2012 12:39 PM, alex brown wrote:

I am looking to re-educate myself in thermodynamics and statistical
physics. I have had a change in direction from optics and need to
get up to speed within a year. Is the above book a good start? Is it
free from any major physics errors? If not, can anyone recommend a
good book?

YMMV, and some people I respect think highly of L&L, but based on
my own experience I cannot recommend L&L ... *especially* as a
starting point or even a re-starting point. The whole L&L series
rubs me the wrong way.

As a starting point I would recommend Schroeder and/or Sturge.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/schroeder-thermal.htm

The next time through, I would recommend Kittel & Kroemer. Depending
on the strength of your background, you could even start here if you
want, but some people consider it too sophisticated and too fast-paced
to be a good starting point for the average student.

You should also take a look at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/
It's kinda disorganized, which makes it more useful as a review or a
resource than as a starting point ... but there is some good stuff in
there that you won't easily find elsewhere.