Re: [Phys-L] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety

On 7/3/2012 11:01 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I have 50-minute classes. All my physics tests (high school) have 10
multiple choice questions (4 points each) and four math problems (15
points each). Also a few bonus questions. Seems to work well. Most kids
finish in the allotted time. A few always need more time, and I give them
five minutes.

I'm curious what other teachers do about tests (format, points, time, etc.)

I also have 50-minute classes at the high school level. My formula for
test creation is:

* each recall-based multiple choice or true/false question: 45 seconds
* each simple fill-in-the-blank question: 1 minute
* each computation-based one-step multiple choice question: 3 minutes
* each computation-based one-step free response question: 5 minutes
* each computation-based two-step free response question: 10 minutes
* each computation-based question that combines multiple topics: 15-20
minutes
* each describe/explain question: 10 minutes

My tests usually have zero multiple choice questions, true/false
questions, fill-in-the-blank questions and matching questions. I
usually have one one-step free response question (5 minutes), two
two-step questions or one two-step question and one describe/explain
question (20 minutes) and one question that combines multiple topics
(15-20 minutes). Most of my students finish within one class period,
but I always offer additional time after school for anyone who needs it.

--
Jeff Bigler
Lynn English HS; Lynn, MA, USA