Re: [Phys-L] Timed Tests and the Development of Math Anxiety

Yes, but this is impractical since kids have multiple classes in a row (at
least in high school). You could also make the test shorter.. I had a
physics teacher in college that used a 4:1 ratio. He made hour-long tests
that he could do in 15 minutes. Of course, he made the tests and knew how
to solve the problems. But the idea was that students need time to think
through problems, solve them, check their work, etc. Most kids are nervous
about tests, especially those in physics.

I have 50-minute classes. All my physics tests (high school) have 10
multiple choice questions (4 points each) and four math problems (15
points each). Also a few bonus questions. Seems to work well. Most kids
finish in the allotted time. A few always need more time, and I give them
five minutes.

I'm curious what other teachers do about tests (format, points, time, etc.)

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
<http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2012/07/03/36boaler.h31.html?tkn=MMZFb%2B
zAGHAB3Z1s469g6O2PaPiAXGcbQ58t&cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS2>

This article refers to some very firm research which shows that timed
testing is one of the reasons why students have difficulty with and hate
math. But notice that repeated extremely stressful situations have bad
effects. Small amounts of stress may be beneficial, but I do not know
where
the threshold lies. Of course this relates to corporal punishment which
is
also a stressful situation which sends the wrong message. But again, some
state standards imply that timed testing is needed. They don't bother to
look at research.

I think that the conventional method of teaching physics also produces
fairly high stress levels because most students find the subject to be
incomprehensible. Then of course there is the problem of tests with a
time
limit which may be too short for some students. Other research has shown
that students who are LD benefit greatly from extended time, while
"normal"
students do not. So giving anyone extended time is a good practice.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX