[Phys-L] valuable traits +- opposite traits ... in jest and otherwise

I am reminded of old joke that describes various traits, describing
each one twice, in opposite ways:

a) I am steadfast; he is stubborn and pig-headed.
b) I am flexible; he is vacillating.
c) I am nuanced and tolerant; he is an unprincipled, pandering hypocrite.
d) I am a team player; he is an authoritarian conformitarian fascist.
e) I am an innovative, original thinker; he is a loose cannon.
f) I am an inspiring leader and orator; he is a demagogue.
g) I am a realist; he is a cynic.
h) I am idealistic; he is naive.
i) I believe in free markets and the invisible hand; he is selfish.

My point (1) is that AFAICT every trait that is good in one situation is
bad in another situation, especially if taken to extremes.

The irony is that point (1) is itself a nuanced observation. It is not
universally accepted. There are plenty of people who have a very very
low tolerance for nuance in any form; see joke (c) above.

I emphasize that there are some things I will tolerate and some things I
won't. I am nuanced about some things and not about others. That is to
say, I have a nuanced view of how much nuance I will tolerate.

I claim that each person possesses all of the traits mentioned in the
jokes above ... but sometimes one end of the spectrum is emphasized far
more than the other.

In particular: It is easy to see where authoritarian, conformitarian
impulses come from. Suppose that one group of Neanderthals has a powerful
leader and strong tradition of following the leader. Meanwhile a second
group of Neanderthals is sitting around bickering, vacillating, and
micro-optimizing everything. The result is that the first group kills
and eats the second group. The only ones who survive are the team players.

Let's be clear: A sub-optimal battle plan is better than no battle plan.

Continuing the story: Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.
A month later, the aforementioned strong leader leads almost the entire
group into a quagmire where they perish. The only ones who survive are
the ones who refused to follow orders.

Mark Twain said "Faith is believing what you know ain't so." Sometimes
believing in stuff that ain't so can lead you into grave danger.

I mention all this because it helps to answer the question that is implicit
in a couple of contentious discussions that have returned to the front
burner in the last day or two:
How could people be so stupid as to legislate the sea-level? Did
they not understand what King Canute was trying to tell them? In
particular, how could they be so stupid as to legislate economic
policy in general -- flood policy in particular -- based on something
they read in the book of Genesis?

My point is that this is behavior is not incomprehensible. It is not
a random mistake. It is only a slight exaggeration of traits that are
in other situations perfectly reasonable and valuable, namely the
"respect for authority" and "team player" traits.

Last but not least, this leads us to the moose on the table, the huge
dead rotting stinking moose on the table, namely selfishness and
corruption. The Koch brothers have a selfish vested interest in
destroying the EPA. They are spending huge sums of money to get
people to lie about the causes and effects of climate change ... just
as other vested interests paid huge amounts of money to get people to
lie about the health effects of smoking. Politicians, out of respect
for the Koch brothers' authority -- by which I mean the Koch brothers'
money -- are quick to rely on what it says in Genesis about flooding.
I daresay if the Koch brothers were in the flood-insurance business
they would be citing different scriptures, perhaps the passages about
dominion, stewardship, and humility.

My advice: If you are going to follow a leader, you should first choose
a leader who is not foolish, selfish, or corrupt.