Re: [Phys-L] multitasking

Despite John D,s spirited defense of multi-tasking and its teachability, and despite
John C's likening it to the behavior associated with ADDS, I believe that the experimental
data long available on the effects of an unexpected interruption on a task requiring
concentration (call it a cognitive effort if you will) are rather convincing:
performance declines. This year, and every few years you will hear of a pilot
crashing a plane when a door or hatch opens unexpectedly in flight.
The damn things fly perfectly well with all kinds of stuff flapping in the breeze,
but the distraction overwhelms.

The situation for some pilots is rather like that: they may be shaken around
(which invokes those genetic propensities inherited from tree-dwellers?
perhaps to attend to finding something to hang onto?) and may be assailed with noisy
engine sounds: they need to look out and look down and look round and
fold charts and punch mini keyboards - and yes, Dorothy - they may fly
hands off, feet on, at times). It's for this kind of reason that people caution
students that their apparent IQ is halved when airborne.

There are methods to mitigate the drop in performance - useful recipes for people who can
get into deathly trouble with minor inattention - people like surgeons. It's the use of checklists:
this reduces the cognitive conscious effort to a rote behavior which pulls up performance
considerably and avoids leaving swabs and clamps in patients.

Checklists have always been advocated for pilots - so that a student from long ago would
remember a vital action checklist like this one:
Brakes off, undercarriage down, mixture rich, air cold, prop pitch fine,
fuel on Mains and sufficient, flaps as required, harness and hatches secure..
[You might well ask, what's an undercarriage, what is a propeller fine/coarse control??)

The current incarnation of checklist advocacy stresses using the appropriate written
not memorized version.

Is using a cell phone like talking to a passenger? I think not: you look down to select
a target for your call, and worse, continue to look down if you are texting. But that
last is just personal opinion.

Brian W