Re: [Phys-l] Arrow of Time Issue

At 9:27 PM -0600 3/7/12, Jack Uretsky wrote:
I don't understand you. Let me try to explain why in two ways:
"If time is increasing" suggests that "time" is defined in such a
way that it could be non increasing. "Time" is not so defined. We define
"time" by findng a periodic phenomenum, and then counting periods. The
count always increases - by definition. "If time is increasing" is
logically like saying "if four is greater than three". But four is
defined as three plus one. So the "if" in the statement is surplusage;
there is no laternate possibility. Same with "time". We define it so
that there is no alternate possibility.

Everybody can appreciate this down-to-earth explanation for the march of time.

But, didn't NASA teach us to count backwards?

On a more serious note - don't Feynman Diagrams include antiparticles moving backwards in time?

In Stat Mech isn't there some subtle connection between Time and Temperature - both of which can be negative?