Re: [Phys-l] Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2

Quoting Jack Uretsky <jlu@hep.anl.gov>:

Hi all-
I suggest that the proposition, "lecture is inefficient", as a
generality, is probably unprovable, it not meaningless. There are a large
variety of ways for a teacher to work with students, and the effectiveness
of any one approach may vary greatly dependent upon external
circumstances. Just for starters, there are individuals who post to this
net who reveal themselves as boring pedants. Such individuals should
probably avoid lecturing, although I once had a great course from such an
individual. I spent a lot of time reading the lecture notes.

Inquiry based methods may have unpredictable consequences. There are gender differences in small group discussion in physics. In one study, majority-male groups males tended to ignore females and direct their explanations to the other males. However, females tended to direct their explanations to males in both majority-female and majority-male groupings. In addition, females were more likely than males to give extended explanations...

The best students may learn much faster through “independent learning” such as reading classic texts, lecture notes and occasional guidance.

Best regards,
Alphonsus