Re: [Phys-l] Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2

At 10:48 AM +0800 8/21/11, carmelo@pacific.net.sg wrote:

The best students may learn much faster through “independent learning”
such as reading classic texts, lecture notes and occasional guidance.

That may well be true, although it is far from certain. But education is not just for the intellectual elite, especially at the pre-college level, and typically, well into the undergraduate level. So shouldn't we be looking for the methods that work for everyone, or a menu of methods so that everyone can learn in the method by which they are most successful? I think it has been shown pretty conclusively, at least for the non-elite students, and particularly at the introductory level, that lecture is not a particularly effective approach to teaching, and even if we all had photographic (or audiographic?) memories it is hardly the way to make sure the students are learning to think about the subject, and/or in general.

The argument that lecture works well for the top level students, even if it is true, doesn't imply that therefore we should use it for everyone.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org