Re: [Phys-l] Wiki. is wrong?

Now an interesting question: Is it possible to have the meter run backwards?

The answer is: Yes!

We had a case of this. In our barn the meter would normally go forwards,
but if you turned off all the lights except for one particualar light the
meter ran backwards. We never found out why this happened, but that light
was left on all the time to save a little money.

This was in the 1950s, and it might be possible that the design was slightly
different, but would anyone know why this might have happened?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

"Electromechanical meters
The most common type of electricity meter is the
electromechanical induction watt-hour meter.[15][16]
The electromechanical induction meter operates by counting
the revolutions of an aluminium disc which is made to rotate
at a speed proportional to the power. The number of
revolutions is thus proportional to the energy usage. It
consumes a small amount of power, typically around 2 watts.
The metallic disc is acted upon by two coils. One coil is
connected in such a way that it produces a magnetic flux in
proportion to the voltage and the other produces a magnetic
flux in proportion to the current. The field of the voltage
coil is delayed by 90 degrees using a lag coil.[17] This
produces eddy currentsin the disc and the effect is such that
a force is exerted on the disc in proportion to the product
of the instantaneous current and voltage. A permanent
magnetexerts an opposing force proportional to the speed of
rotation of the disc. The equilibrium between these two
opposing forces results in the disc rotating at a speed
proportional to the power being used. The disc drives a
register mechanism which integrates the speed of the disc
over time by counting revolutions, much like the odometer in
a car, in order to render a measurement of the total energy
used over a period of time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_meter#Electromechanic
al_meters

The above, which I missed, follows. Sui generis, it
measures the power, not he imaginary volt ampere power. The
key is instantaneous -- no phase diff. if the PF is one.
This is the same (essentially) method that Watt meters of the
d'Arsonval method use.