Re: [Phys-l] Placebo Education

And a better idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO8x8eoU3L4

Bill

On Jul 23, 2011, at 5:54 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I think this is an example of the second kind of truth:

So I'll ask you another question. What on earth is wrong with placebos? The seem fantastic to me. They cost very little to develop. They work extraordinarily well.They have no side effects, or if they do, they're imaginary, so you can safely ignore them. (Laughter)

So I was discussing this. And I actually went to the Marginal Revolution blog by Tyler Cowen. I don't know if anybody knows it. Someone was actually suggesting that you can take this concept further,and actually produce placebo education. The point is that education doesn't actually work by teaching you things. It actually works by giving you the impression that you've had a very good education, which gives you an insane sense of unwarranted self confidence, which then makes you very, very successful in later life. So, welcome to Oxford, ladies and gentlemen. (Laughter) (Applause)

Rory Sutherland: Life lessons from an ad man | Video on TED.com

bc