Re: [Phys-l] Nuclear Power

On 2011, May 03, , at 00:03, Michael Edmiston wrote:

The Wiki-article states that hydroelectric power plants are the ones that
are easiest to black-start from a diesel generator because you only need
excitation power plus sufficient power to open and moderate the water intake
gates. This makes a lot of sense, but not all areas of the continent are
flush with hydroelectric power plants.

While picnicking in Sweden we watched a man exit an auto enter a small building beside a stream and then leave. My host, an engineer with Bofors, explained he had just closed down or put in operation the "micro" hydro power station -- that easy!