Re: [Phys-l] Arons _Teaching Introductory Physics_

While it does have some wrong things and outdated information, it is the
ONLY book which actually discusses the research that goes into PER and gives
a large number of recommendations for teaching. As such it is one of the
most valuable references for teaching physics. Of course if you object to
the physics in the book, the alternative is "Science Teaching and the
Developmen of Reasoning" by Anton Lawson. The only problem with the latter
book is that it is not specific enough for a physics course.

Arons certainly could be updated in light of more recent research, but until
then it serves as the most valuable reference for teaching. The number of
very sensible recommedations is quite large. The review does not cite any
research as to why specific things are bad pedagogy. By contrast the book
does cite specific research into teaching physics, and the role of thinking.

The review also supposes that students are reading this book. It is really
intended for teachers who already have formed a number of ideas about
physics.

So my question is what book reflects the current state of PER and would be
helpful to people who wish to teach physics? I do not know of any
alternatives.

The enemy of good practice, is the ideal of perfection.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I quote from the introduction to
http://www.av8n.com/physics/arons-1996.htm

This book is a trap. It is superficially attractive, but the more you
step into it, the more it reveals itself to be a morass of wrong
physics and bad pedagogy. The book contains some good ideas, but they
are so diluted by bad ideas that nothing can be relied upon. This
makes the book particularly unsuitable for its target audiences,
namely preservice teachers and novice teachers (part I) or students
(part III).