Re: [Phys-l] Q from amplitude width?

On 04/25/2011 12:03 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
I wish to compare the response width to my free decay Q values. How does one do this?

The usual answer to all such questions -- a verrry wide range of questions --
is to parameterize the equation of motion and then curve-fit the data to
extract the parameters.

Additional advice, pertaining to this particular equation of motion:
There are several different definitions of Q in the literature.
They are all equivalent in the high-Q limit, but may differ when
Q is small. This is discussed in the Feynman lectures somewhere.
So pick one definition, stick to it, and explicitly communicate it
to all concerned.