Re: [Phys-l] air pressure question

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM, William Robertson
<wrobert9@ix.netcom.com>wrote:

Okay, I read the article. It's very good, but still not clear on why
the air flow occurs. He does mention "centrifugal pumping" at the
beginning, which would seem to confirm my explanation, but then later
talks about Bernoulli in a vague way. I find it interesting that he
got it to sing while holding one end out of a car window. That would
seem to go against the centrifugal force

______________

explanation. But then we're
back to using Bernoulli to explain pressure differences due to moving
air and still air that are not connected in a continuous flow. Is it
possible that when it's held outside a car window, you are simply
setting up standing waves in the tube, much like blowing over the top
of a beer bottle?

So, I remain with questions. As for "floogle," I bought several of
these a number of years ago, and they were stamped with that name.

Bill

Should not the centrifugal force that holds the hose out radially when you
swing it act equally on the air within?

I think the proper name was Bloogle.