Re: [Phys-l] Special Relativity

On 2/1/2011 1:24 AM, Robert Yeend wrote:
Help, please!

A student asked the following question, to which I did not have a
ready answer:

"If someone on earth sent a message to a person in a spaceship
traveling at relativistic speed, would the voice on the message sound
distorted because of time dilation?"

Ideas?

Bob Yeend
Justin-Siena HS
Napa, CA
There are several ways in which a voice message could be encoded on an electromagnetic wave,
and I suggest the results would depend on that modulation.
If the message were sent as some compressed sampled digital code, then when the message was reassembled at the receiver, it might well have its timbre preserved.
An earlier modulation method like AM or FM would be subject to carrier frequency shift, and modulation frequency shift.

Brian W