Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions - Response to Haim #2

On Jan 27, 2011, at 4:19 PM, William Robertson wrote:

Just jumping in here. What, exactly, is wrong with kicking out
students who are unruly or will not do the work? ("Cannot" do the work
is a different matter--I would guess that most schools and teachers
are willing to work with those who are also willing to work but have
deficient backgrounds.) Instead of calling this a dirty little secret
of charter and private schools, why not let public schools do the
same?

We must jump through hoops to do that... mostly, such "students" (I use the word loosely) get suspended for a week then get readmitted on their word to do better, which usually lasts a week or so before they get into a fight with another student or hit a teacher or (gasp!) an administrator. Even then, they are sent to a disciplinary school for a few months and are back in the neighborhood school to repeat the behavior ad infinitum. If we are lucky, they move or drop out before the year is out.

You see, charter schools only take the ones who had the parents and the proper attitude to get on the lottery list, and they know if they act up there, they will be back in the old neighborhood school so fast their heads would spin! So, naturally, the charter schools can brag that few of their students ever leave. But, the bigger the movement grows, the more kids they take in, the better the odds that this will change, too, and they will be no better off than the inner city schools they *replace*. (Read the story I told in this forum about what happened last week in the subway station in Philly.)

Disruptive students aren't learning anything anyway, and they
are interfering with the learning of the rest of the students. Many of
us have seen videos of the chaotic atmosphere in some inner-city
schools. I'm sure the teachers in those classrooms would love to get
rid of the troublemakers and improve that atmosphere.

Try living the life for real ! I must admit that the first 20 of my 31 years were not that bad... it was always a blue collar school, but with few really bad kids. The last 10 or so years were like being in a war zone. Thank GOD I taught physics... as a previous post said, those kids had survived and knew what they needed to do to get out of the city. It was the 9th grade science teachers who had it bad!

Bill