Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions - Response to Haim #2

Just jumping in here. What, exactly, is wrong with kicking out students who are unruly or will not do the work? ("Cannot" do the work is a different matter--I would guess that most schools and teachers are willing to work with those who are also willing to work but have deficient backgrounds.) Instead of calling this a dirty little secret of charter and private schools, why not let public schools do the same? Disruptive students aren't learning anything anyway, and they are interfering with the learning of the rest of the students. Many of us have seen videos of the chaotic atmosphere in some inner-city schools. I'm sure the teachers in those classrooms would love to get rid of the troublemakers and improve that atmosphere.

Bill