Re: [Phys-l] journalism

On 01/23/2011 03:08 PM, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

I see nothing wrong with that topic sentence.

Well, I do.

Chez moi, saying something you know will be misinterpreted is
the same as lying.

And it's all so unnecessary. Why couldn't they say

In the always-amazing Yellowstone valley, a decade-long
surge of rapidly-rising terrain may have come to an end.
Over a vast area, the land is 10 or 20 cm higher than it
was a ten years ago, but slightly lower than it was one
year ago.

Or even

Using new technology and old-fashioned hard work, scientists
have achieved a deeper understanding of the amazing processes
going on beneath the surface of the Yellowstone valley.

... which is more representative of the real story.