Re: [Phys-l] journalism ( you can't trust anything you read)

From: WC Maddox

This does not have anything directly to do with physics but much that has been on Phys-L lately does not ether. The material below is from CNN about James Eric Fuller's threats, including what was considered a death threat against a Tea Party member, after Tucson shooting in which he was wounded. Search CNN site for James Eric Fuller for item below.

As a result of this I have changed what I call the experimental physicist's motto: Never trust. Always verify. Preferable by 3 ( formerly 2) independent means.

Initial Report (by Robert Rowley)

1.The fact of the matter is that Trent Humphries, leader of Tucson Tea Partiers, does not live anywhere near where the shooting happened. . He went so far as to state that his neighbor, whom he loved, had been killed or shot. The strange thing is that Humphries lives on Tucson's East side, well over 10 miles from the Safeway where the shooting happened. *
*2*.* What upsets Humphries most is that the same *Saturday* that the event at Safeway happened, that afternoon, the Tea Party Golden Boy, Jesse Kelly, was going to hold a press conference and announce his run against Gabby two years hence.
3.Kelly has now ran in the past *two *elections against Gabby and lost both times.
4.During this past election Kelly had a picture on his campaign websites fundraising section. This photo was of a *skinhead* Jesse Kelly holding an M 16 .

Various Responses

*1. *Humphries lives one block from the shooting. Indeed his neighbor Dorwan Stoddard was killed while in attendance at the congress on your corner meeting with Gabrielle Giffords.He was on his way with his family to buy groceries at that Safeway when the ambulances raced past ...

2. the Kelly announcement was scheduled for th 14th of January (a Friday).

3. Mr Kelly has only stood for office ONCE, not twice as you state.
*
4.*The "skinhead" photo was taken of Mr. Kelly while serving in the USMC in Iraq. I'm sure that our service personnel appreciate your referring to them as "skinheads". Altough I am certain that Mr. Kelly would be the first to say that he was serving to defend the freedoms we enjoy in this country including the freedom of fools, such as yourself, to speak your mind.

End Message