Re: [Phys-l] Global Evolution as fact

At 22:59 -0500 01/08/2011, Mike Viotti wrote:

Why is there a need to push for global evolution as fact? By claiming it
is, scientists open themselves up to the errors of history (as Bill
mentioned below), but I think we do ourselves a more grave injustice. If we
try to claim something as fact that is not, we weaken the label of "theory"
by making it appear second best to the label of "fact." In a world where
very few people actually understand what a "theory" is to begin with, we'd
do better by explaining and defending the theory as it stands and, while
we're at it, defending and explaining the idea of "theory" in general. At
least that's my stance.

Evolution is not a fact. It is a theory. And a theory is something that makes a whole lot of facts coherent, so it is much more important than merely a fact.

A theory is more than a fact, and evolution accounts extraordinarily well for more facts from more threads of study and different, even unrelated, disciplines than just about any other theory that we have for anything. In that sense Evolution is very much more than a fact or even a collection of facts. Of all the theories that we have in science, evolution is the least likely to be overturned at any time in the future.

To set fact and theory against each other is a serious scientific mistake, since the purpose of a theory is to explain facts that have been observed, and to predict facts that might be observed in the future. The way the word has been used here is more akin to hypothesis. But even a hypothesis cannot be considered a fact. Facts are data--the data that either confirm or dispute a hypothesis. When we build a structure that accounts for all or almost all of the facts regarding a particular line of study, then and only then to we have a theory.

Unfortunately the words theory and facts are misused by the general public and are considered as more or less opposites. But not only are they not opposites, they are not even synonyms. They are different things altogether, and really, don't even fit in the same taxonomical chain.

So to call evolution a fact is an error, but not the one that the general public might assume, since the theory of evolution is quite probably the final explanation of a huge body of facts that have been accumulated over the past several centuries. So we can have great confidence that no major changes to the theory are likely to ever be made, but we must not make the mistake of conflating fact and theory--they are very different things, and if we create a hierarchy of importance, theory stands well above mere facts.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org