Re: [Phys-l] Monty Hall problem

Here's a parable in the form of a dialog:

Salvatio: I have here a small multi-faceted object. I toss the
object onto the table. I observe that in this instance comes to
rest with a certain facet on top, and there are six dots on that
facet. Now suppose I toss it again. How many dots will be on
the top facet?

Simplicio: Obviously six. You just told me that when you toss
it, there are six spots on top. There is nothing else I need
to know. Let's make a game of it. Every time it comes up "six"
you pay me a dollar. If it ever comes up non-"six" I will pay
you a hundred dollars.

Sagredo: I expect Simplicio is going to lose a lot of money. The
fundamental problem is that given one element drawn from a
distribution, he thinks he can infer the underlying probability.

[they play the game]

Simplicio: I forgot to tell you: I assume you are required to
toss the object in such a way that it comes up "six" every time.
That's the rules.

Salvatio: You don't get to change the rules after the game has
started.