Re: [Phys-l] "Ask Marilyn"

New contributor here...

The best way I've found to encourage non-believing students to switch doors
in the Monty Hall problem involves limiting cases. Imagine there are 10, or
100, or 1000, or a million doors, only one of which hides a car. You pick
one door. Monty opens all the rest except 1 (so he opens 8, or 98, or 998,
or 999,998) and asks if you want to switch. Do you?

Students seem more comfortable convincing themselves to switch in this
case. The odds of picking the correct door from the outset seem incredibly
slim given the opportunity to take advantage of the new information Monty
presented by opening a bunch of doors. After convincing them to switch when
there are a million doors, well, what if there are 999,999? 999,998? Etc.

Then, of course, you can throw students the curveball of, say, having seven
doors, allowing them to pick 3, opening 3 of the remaining doors, and asking
them if they want to swap their 3 for the final unopened door that they did
not initially choose. Optimally, they should indeed trade their 3 doors for
that one unknown, but it's a bit counter intuitive until you realize that
you're actually trading 3 doors for 4 doors, but 3 of your new 4 have
already been opened. That doesn't change the probability that there was a
car behind there to start with, though.

Probability is wonderful.

Mike