[Phys-l] Re: "The Truth Wears Off" by Jonah Lehrer in The New Yorker Dec 13, 2010.

At 10:03 -0600 01/01/2011, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

I wasn't referring to any specific result -- I was considering the general human nature.

But here is an example -- consider the "hockey stick" temperature reconstructions. There has been some discussion of the statistical details used to reconstruct past temperatures from the proxy data.

* If Michael Mann is predisposed TOWARD AGW and he finds support that now it is hotter than any time in the past two millennia, he is likely to accept the result. And the IPCC is like to to accept the results.

* If Stephen McIntyre is predisposed AGAINST AGW, he is likely to say to himself "maybe Mann did the analysis wrong" and try a second time. Now when his statistical analysis shows that the hockey stick disappears, he is likely to accept that result.

I agree that this is worth considering, but I think it has been done. The various temperature data have been analyzed many times, and the results have always been the same, even when different data sets are considered. As long as one get a true average temperature for the world (that is, not biased to urban heat islands, or the like), and the temperature scales are calibrated to the same standards, the trends always show an upward trend over sufficiently long periods, since the 1850s. There are several leveling off periods and a couple of small declines, that can be explained by such things as soot from WWII, or volcanic eruptions, and the like, but the trend is consistently up, and at a much greater rate than those upward trends that happened in the pre-industrial or geologic ages.

It is the speed with which the modern change is happening that is the primary cause for alarm, and enables a reasonably certain attribution of the data to human activity. This is unprecedented. In all of the discussions of this I have read, those who claim contrary results have been shown to either be looking at uncalibrated data, limited data sets (such as using US-only temperature records), or "cherry-picking" the data they are examining--that is looking at the data for the previous 10-15 years, dominated by the extraordinary peak temperature due to a very strong El Niño in 1998, and concluding that the temperature rise has leveled off. But even in the absence of the 1998 El Niño, a 10 year period is simply insufficient to base a trend on, and extending that data back to 1900 or so, shows that the trend continues upward, and the current shallowing of the trend slope is probably temporary. It would be nice if this was in fact the beginning of a level period, but we can never be sure that the rise won't recommence at most any time.

The upshot is that we are seeing the effects of global warming in several independent lines of investigation, from the northward migration of climate zones in the northern hemisphere (and conversely in the southern hemisphere), to the accelerating ice melting in the arctic ocean and the Greenland ice cap), to the northern migration of tropical diseases, the mountain top isolation of several species that are being dramatically reduced by heating of their mountain top habitats, the increased acidification of the ocean and resulting death of many coral beds, among others.

I just don't think that the global warming issue falls within Lehrer's sphere of concern. The effect does not seem to be losing force. I would like to see some more rigorous explanation of the effect he reports on. I don't find the statistical explanations he ends with very satisfying. Perhaps its just because he doesn't explain the statistical issues very clearly, but I'd like to hear more about why a strict double-blind test isn't good enough to present the effect from happening if it really is a statistical phenomenon. I think we need to know more about how samples populations are chosen for these tests, and especially how they are chosen for follow-on replication tests. Maybe the sampling isn't as good as it should be; maybe the tests aren't long enough; maybe there is inadvertent or intentional cheating going on; or maybe it's just because the tests to that show no particular advantage or disadvantage of the new product usually never get published, so we are biasing the data from the beginning.

In any event, I don't know of the selective sampling problem in the physical sciences, primarily, because a repetition of a test is often done to improve the accuracy of the measurement, so there is little reason not to publish a result that gives the same result but to a higher degree of accuracy, or refutes the original finding.

It does occur to me that something like the phenomenon Lehrer reports may have been present in the "fifth force" and "cold fusion" events. In both those cases, the initial reports were followed by confirming follow-ups but then quickly, the disconfirming reports started to come in, and the effect faded rather quickly--within a few months. In fact, it was only about a year after the initial report of the fifth force was made that those authors reported that the effect they "found" was an artifact of their data-taking methods (if I recall correctly). I have always thought of these two events as shining examples of how and how not to do and report scientific results, with the good example being the fifth force and the bad one cold fusion. Even so, it appears that even these events had a "lifetime" of only months, compared to the several years Lehrer reports for the effects he talks about.

On the other hand, the discovery of "high temperature superconductivity" had a similar but happier early lifetime. The initial results were not only immediately confirmed but led quickly to significant advances in superconductor technology.

It might be worth the effort to revisit the "polywater" fiasco from the late 1960s, as another example of the phenomenon Lehrer talks about.

I know that Ludwik remains interested in the intellectual follow-on to the cold fusion phenomenon, and still hopes that something will come of it. I have no definitive opinion on the present status of that work, but I rather think that it remains in the realm of "fringe science" until some more definitive results can be presented.

I guess that, in general, I've talked myself into believing that Lehrer's work is mostly a phenomenon of the life sciences, where statistical sampling is the lifeblood of the scientific methodology. Although I'l like to hear if anyone else has some thoughts about its effect in the physical sciences.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org