Re: [Phys-l] What comes first, the equation or the explanation?

On 2011, Dec 21, , at 18:56, John Denker wrote:

Actually, the only thing that makes sense to me is the spiral
approach, where we introduce a new idea, connect it to one or
two old ideas, and keep coming back to it over time, gradually
building more and more connections.....

The connections exist in some very high dimensional space,
maybe 100 dimensions or 1000 dimensions, maybe more. In
any case, there is a theorem (Brouwer, 1911) that says you
cannot map something from one dimension to another in a way
that is one-to-one and continuous. I call this the "flower
pressing theorem". It means you cannot serialize any nontrivial
topic in any natural way; you *will* have to skip some things
and come back to them later.

I am reminded of what William James had to say about this circa
1898. What I call "connections" he called "associates". Talking
about ideas and how they are recalled:

Each of the associates is a hook to which it hangs, a means to fish
it up when sunk below the surface. Together they form a network of
attachments by which it is woven into the entire tissue of our
thought. The 'secret of a good memory' is thus the secret of forming
diverse and multiple associations with every fact we care to retain.

A student who has made only a few connections might be tempted
to arrange them "in order" in one dimension ... whereas a
professional has made so many connections that it is quite
impossible to fish up one idea all by itself, or to place the
ideas in any natural order. I can choose some arbitrary order,
but others may choose differently, and I myself might choose
differently tomorrow.

James Burke"

"Connections approach to history

Connections explores an "Alternative View of Change" (the subtitle of the series) that rejects the conventional linear and teleological view of historical progress. Burke contends that one cannot consider the development of any particular piece of the modern world in isolation. Rather, the entire gestalt of the modern world is the result of a web of interconnected events, each one consisting of a person or group acting for reasons of their own motivations (e.g. profit, curiosity, religious) with no concept of the final, modern result of what either their or their contemporaries' actions finally led to. The interplay of the results of these isolated events is what drives history and innovation, and is also the main focus of the series and its sequels"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connections_(TV_series)

bc makes a connection.