Re: [Phys-l] What comes first, the equation or the explanation?

If you look at the history of science there is some insight. Of course you can't look to far back because equations as we know them today weren't used. There is an excellent book by Jeb Buchwald about Maxwell and how he evolved Faraday's pretty much non-mathmatical ideas into Maxwell's equations.
I think you will find he thought mental models and images before he came to equations, but not always. Once some of the equations exist, new ones can flow out of the old.

joe