Re: [Phys-l] Simulations and Computer Homework Problems for Freshman and Sophomores

On 12/10/2011 09:58 AM, I wrote:

science
/ \
/ \
theory experiment
/ \
/ \
algebra simulation

The question arises, what about visualization?

The answer is that visualization is important. It's importance
spans all the categories given above:
-- You can visualize an algebraic formula. For example, it may be
worth plotting 0.5 a t^2 versus t, as a model of the motion of a
freely-falling object. As a slightly more advanced example,
consider the Shockley diode equation. It really pays to plot
that, because the concept of "diode drop" is not built into the
equation, but emerges as a none-too-obvious consequence.
-- You can visualize simulation results.
-- You can visualize experimental data.

This is relevant to the current thread, at least tangentially, because
often computers provide the best way of visualizing some result ...
including /but not limited to/ simulation results.

In particular, plotting stuff with ye olde spreadsheet application is
a good example of doing science with a computer. It has the advantage
of being interactive: If you change the data, the graph changes immediately.
It also has the advantage of not having much barrier to entry; it does
not require any fancy programming language.