Re: [Phys-l] Simulations and Computer Homework Problems for Freshman and Sophomores

On 2011, Dec 10, , at 08:58, John Denker wrote:

I'd appreciate your inputs on your experiences on either using such
simulations/homework in freshman/sophomore courses or why you have not done
so.

Computer modeling should start at the pre-high-school level.

The freshman/sophomore level is not too early; it is too late.

JD forgot to mention Feynman et alii taught the basics of computer modeling. This was an intro. course. Because it was before PCs, it's pencil and paper (We are computers.)

Later, but still before the PC age Eisberg and Lerner incorporated AOS calculators and the HP-34 C programable calculator (A PC, no?) in their text, both as detailed examples and extensively in the problem sets.

What w/ calculus taught in HSs, I'd think "computer" modeling is suitable in AP HS physics.

bc has used the Numerical Calculus Supplement to accompany Eisberg and Lerner / PHYSICS / foundations and Applications. (Eisberg and Peckham)