Re: [Phys-l] Physics problem of 3D presentation

On 2011, Dec 05, , at 10:50, John Clement wrote:

3D is going through a cycle of popularity, and it is not clear that it will
last, but this time there seems to be a lot of technical innovation which
has resulted in acceptable presentation to groups. But each method has
problems. So far the best method for home presentation seems to be using
circular polarization to separate right and left images, but it has problems
as all the methods do. So can anyone come up with some ideas for fixing
some of the problems. Here is a list of current methods:

My last trip to Costco included a demo 3-D. I viewed thru the glasses grazing reflection from a nearby slickly covered box. Rotating the glasses caused partial extinction (oxymoron, I know) of the reflection. So I concluded linear polarizers. *** this is how my projector works. I't been > twenty years since I set up and maintained the optics lab. at UCSC, so I may be all wet.

bc

*** IFIRC, both lenses oriented the same, so I'm likely confused -- I could google instead of posting.

The FPR method is currently cheapest, and is fairly satisfactory
except when you want to mix 2D and 3D. It makes 2D small fonts hard to
read.

There goes closed captioning.