Re: [Phys-l] quadratic uncertainty

Ludwik,

you mentioned that you did not understand the Matlab formalism.
In this you are one with a sizable proportion of the educated classes.
I looked out this URL which shows how engineers are taught:

Complex Numbers: Numerical Experiment (Quadratic Roots)

http://cnx.org/content/m21413/latest/

http://tinyurl.com/2amm4qx

...which is all very well, but does not get to the heart of your question.
Still it brings up the fascinating story of how an undergraduate student
approaches the issue of quadratic polynomials now, and then, i.e.....
how Gauss dropped out of Gottingen at 21, but was promised a student grant
if he would gain a PhD. Which he did, by acclamation, a few months later.

http://www.schillerinstitute.org/educ/pedagogy/gauss_fund_bmd0402.html

http://tinyurl.com/2axequ4

Here is an exposition, an engaging exposition purveyed in the NY Times:

NYTimes Opinionator today, from S Strogatz Cornell on March 7th

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/finding-your-roots/

http://tinyurl.com/y98mtak

Despite the straight-forward look of these polynomials, I see that Aaronson puts
them to advantage in describing amplitudes, of the quantum kind:

PHY771 Lec 9 -- Quantum S Aaronson Stanford

http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

http://tinyurl.com/ykpa5n

An Example of Aaronson's lecture Idea.

http://academic.reed.edu/chemistry/alan/Research/Bond/BasicQM/PrAmp/pramp.html

http://tinyurl.com/27jjtbv

Still, when all is said and done, I have to share that this is a class of puzzle calculated to mislead the unwary:
particularly those who would have us think there is a 'one size fits all' for specifying uncertainties
in experimental evaluations.

To make it quite explicit: it is not difficult to specify the coefficients of a quadratic with huge uncertainties,
which nevertheless produce roots with modest uncertainties. On the other hand, there are quadratics
whose coefficients are so carefully crafted that even quite tight uncertainties just will not do.
The looked for root(s), disappear in a cloud of complexity, and polarity, that in some physical cases is,
well, unphysical.

So an appropriate response to getting word of such a puzzle, is to say:
if this is a physical experiment that requires an output of a particular kind, say a real positive output,
this specification is wrong:the required uncertainties need to be specified within bounds needed
to realise the physicality in question.
Here, real and positive(1): there, real and negative or positive(2). Elsewhere always complex (3).
Even rarely (I suppose) sometimes real and sometimes complex(4) - but rarely.....

So to follow on the four thousand year tradition of examining roots of quadratics, I will put a
little effort into specifying bounds on the coefficients which give the cited quadratic physical meaning
in cases 1,2,3,4 if they exist, as time permits.

Brian W