[Phys-l] A ton of information

I recently was on a field-installation of some equipment. During the process,
the funder's right-hand-man was instructed to take a "ton of pictures" with his
Blackberry. He joked about how he might have been able to do so many years ago,
but now that they've gone digital, it would be impossible.

My question to the list is this:

Given reasonable physical estimates (it strikes me that this would be a
marvelous Fermi problem), how many such photos would it take to amass a ton? I'd
love to see some of the different ways that people approach such an open-ended
question.

As a species, we are forever sticking our fingers into the electric socket of
the Universe to see what'll happen next. It's a trait that'll either save us or
kill us, but by god it's what makes us human beings. I'd rather be in the
company of people who look at Mars than people who contemplate humanity's navel
-- other worlds are better than fluff. ~~Sir Terence David John Pratchett