Re: [Phys-l] Feynman's messenger lectures now available

Well, this gets into the whole idea about testing. What is a "fair" test?
One that reflects what you do in class? One that makes students apply
their physics knowledge? We all teach physics differently. What are the
"basics" that students should know about a given topic? For example, I
asked a student in my physics colleague's class, "If you cover the top
half of a lens, how will the image change?" He struggled with this and
said that his teacher never discussed this in class. To me, it's a
fundamental idea of optics.* Of course, ray diagrams in textbooks are in
two dimensions, so most students think (incorrectly) that the bottom half
of the image will disappear.

Lecturing has its merits, but true (improved) understanding of physics
concepts requires active engagement. Students preconceptions
(misconceptions) about the world need to be challenged so they can rethink
what they've learned or what they view as "common sense." I use peer
instruction questions in my classes to assist with this. It's not easy for
most students as it forces them to really think. And thinking is
difficult. As one student commented, "It [peer instruction] really gets
your mind buzzing!"

*It reminded me of the Harvard video about the battery, bulb, and wire,
and how most graduates (even electrical engineers!) could not make the
bulb shine. This is a fundamental idea of electricity.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
Referring to a previous post -- I think JC is missing Bill G's point.. He
wouldn't necessarily learned much from the lectures, but fascinated
would'a changed his major and then learned. Also referred -- if
lectures fascinate and therefore, motivate then they've done their job --
the learning will come from section, the text, lab., etc.

Finally the definition of bright kid is if (s)he learns from lectures!

bc

BTW, I taught one semester of HS Chem. (second semester) to a small
class (ten?) At the end I found no one had even cracked the text --
several said they got it all from my lecture. My non-inflated grading
was only one C rest B's and A's. (this was their elective class.)