Re: [Phys-l] physics lessons from wikipedia

John Denker wrote:
/snip/ There is some interesting
physics to be found, in a perverse way, in this
wikipedia passage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation#Spherical_waves

On 03/11/2010 08:46 AM, curtis osterhoudt wrote:
If you want to follow a dit with "sharp edges" by another
such dit in an even-dimensioned space, you have to wait until the
first dit has died out via dissipation, or until the wake formed by
the first dit is of a significantly different shape./snip/

That's all fine, but what's true for a baseband dit isn't
necessarily true for a wave packet in the far field.
Hmmm...the hair on my neck visibly rises when I see the "physics" attitude on display.
(Not to say it isn't correct...) At times like these, I hasten to the
last redoubt of all conviction: physical example.

It's easy to recall the quasi one-dimensional surface wave examplar -
the canal wave soliton, which let a two horse hitch pull hundreds of tons
of long-boat up to speed, where a single horse could then maintain the unusually fast pace
assisted by the non-dissipating stern wave.

The quasi-one dimensional sound wave is easily demonstrated in a tube - or along a rail -
with similarly long and non-dissipating transmission.

A quasi-two dimensional example for a sound wave or I suppose a microwave source ought
to look like two close spaced parallel plates, with a launch point in the middle of the channel.

The assertion is that such a 2-D channel behaves differently than a 1-D channel in
response to a Dirac type pulse. Does it? Probably: Not sure - haven't tried.

Brian W