Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."

I had a little walk, after posing the previous message. Coming back I saw this reply, from the philosopher:

"It is not the actual phrase of the question that I was referring to, it was the way a scientist or the religious would answer the question. Not to get caught up on language, I will clarify what I mean using your question: "Why do we have solar eclipses?"

A scientist would answer this question with a "how answer"... we have solar eclipses because the moon is passing in front of the sun and temporarily blocks the view, etc... that is HOW solar eclipses occur.

A religious person would answer the question, with a "why answer", attempting to explain the reason or significance of a solar eclipse. A bad/good omen, a sign from God, evidence of God's beauty and complexity etc... this is WHY a solar eclipse happens.

Hope that makes sense."

Yes, of course it does make sense. My point was that languages often forces us to use the words which should not be used. And thank you John C. for reminding us that France does have the language supervising authority. I knew that the term "language police" was used here recently but I could not remember who used it. Now I remember that it was you.

Ludwik

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html