Re: [Phys-l] What science courses are offered at your school?

UCSC once offered a basic electronics course, and a logic and computer course. It was upper divison only because, as an elective, there was no room for it lower div. (i.e. no specific prerequisite). The second course was dropped when computer engineering offered the equivalent, besides it was obsolete, as it was based on the Z-80. [in between this, one time it was endless work w/ the basic stamp.]

The course used the "Lab. manual for 'The Art of Electronics'" Horowitz & Robinson.

The first 13 chapters** are easy!

I'm certain it's not beyond the "better" HS student.

[N.B. the first ed. not the Hayes and Horowitz ed.

This is what is offered now:

160. Practical Electronics. S
Provides a practical knowledge of electronics that experimentalists generally need in research. The course assumes no previous knowledge of electronics and progresses according to the interest and ability of the class. Based on weekly lectures. However, with the aid of the instructor, the students are expected to learn mainly through the design, construction, and debugging of electronics projects. Students are billed a materials fee. Prerequisite(s): courses 5C and 5N or 6C and 6N. Offered in alternate academic years. R. Johnson

** DC Circuits; Caps; Diodes; Transistors I; II, and III; Op amps I; II and III; Oscillators***; P/Ss; FETs I and II.

*** example sub heading: relaxation osc, sawtooth osc. and triangle wave osc. (using the 555) VCO using the 566; Wien Bridge osc. (using an op-amp and a panel lamp to limit the + feedback. finally the Twin-T notch filter.

bc thinks a very "fun" course.