Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

I'm all in favor of doing experiments.

Then, having done the experiment, it is important to correctly
interpret the results.

Consider the three assertions that "Toothpaste is not glue,
and it's not particularly sticky. ... Therefore, there is no
net tensile force." The first assertion is literally true
in some narrow pedantic sense, but it is highly misleading,
and the second and third assertions are not true in general.
They are not true of any commercial toothpaste I have ever
seen.

The fact is, typical toothpaste is sticky, especially in thin
layers. It took me two minutes to design and carry out an
experiment to show an example of this. I put a thin layer of
toothpaste on the wide end of a funnel and used that to glue
the funnel to a plate. I was able to pick up the system
using the funnel as a handle, thereby demonstrating that the
toothpaste has significant tensile strength and stickiness.

The funnel remains open at the small end, so there is no
possibility of any suction-cup effects. The plate is entirely
supported by tension in the sticky paste.

In fact, typical toothpaste is a semi-solid. It is not a very
_good_ glue, but it does exhibit thixotropy, which is one of
the properties one expects a good glue to have.

More generally, I am reminded of one of Murphy's Laws, namely
the one that says "If everything seems to be going smoothly,
you have obviously overlooked something."

We should all keep in mind that this is a complicated
system. Maybe there is a simple way of looking at it that
explains everything, but I very much doubt it. So far,
everyone who has claimed a simple explanation has been
overlooking big parts of the problem.