Re: [Phys-l] Re. Simultaneity

Using w = ict, the usual Lorentz xform can be written as:

x' = g(x+ivw/c),  and w' = g(w-ivx/c) where g =SQR(1/1-(v/c)^2)

This can be written as the explicitly orthogonal xform:

x' = xCOS(Q) + wSIN(Q) , and w'= wCOS(Q) - xSIN(Q),

where Q is the imaginary angle :
COS(Q) = g , and SIN(Q) = ivg/c

In my schooldays (many eons ago) this formalism was quite common,
eg., in texts by Joos, Panofsky/Phillips, Jackson, etc.
See Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, paragraph ll.7 (first edition) for a good exposition and its use in electromagnetics.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/