Re: [Phys-l] Watch "60 minutes" today

P.S.
Here is a message from Dr. Dean Sinclair:

“All that I can say, from the viewpoint of a chemist, trained originally in Organic Chemistry, is that my first response to hearing about "Cold Fusion" was, "Sure, why not?! Looks to me like an 'isomerization' of D:D to Helium 4. A rare, high-energy vibration of D:D and a state of Helium 4 could have instantaneous physical identity but different 'Energy' content, so there would be no stabilization to the Helium 4 unless there were an 'Energy Sink' available which could absorb the Energy Difference. The Palladium Lattice, with a myriad of Energy levels available, would seem to qualify as the necessary 'Energy Sink.' "

At that time, several years ago, the correspondence of heat produced to He4 produced was not yet shown. I have had no reason to change my guess that the process is simply an isomerization between DD and He4, or possibly between DD+ and He4+. which is able to take place because there is a suitable "Energy Sink" available in the Palladium lattice. This explanation is, of course, speculative; but, might make sense to chemists, especially organic chemists such as myself, who are more likely to think in physical terms than in mathematical."

I wander what chemists think about this explanation.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher and an amateur journalist. Updated links to publications and reviews are at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html

Also an ESSAY ON ECONOMICS at: http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/economy/essay9.html