Re: [Phys-l] A challenge.

ItemAnalysis - yes - that was the programs name.
I may still have a copy of the code around somewhere even tho it was FOUO.

Pearson Product Coefficient
Stratified Alpha (different Subject Matter Areas within each MOS test)

Large Data Set application.

We would have had to get a dispensation from the Pentagon to use Fortran but COBOL was (is?) WAY more efficient when the application is I/O bound.
Fancy statistical formulas really aren't that hard to write in COBOL anyway.
We had to use Assembler on the older machine for lack of copious core memory (REALLY core memory - one magnetic torus of each bit of data ! ! ! )