Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

As you probably suspect, the question is, indeed, underspecified and, thus, unanswerable. The inadequacy in the problem specification might be remedied in more or less difficult ways , e.g., you might specify a) some appropriate boundary conditions and the behavior of the magnetic field everywhere within (or without) those boundaries or b) you might simply specify the electric field at the release point since any value is compatible with the given dB/dt.

I think the larger point to be made in this thread is that one should not be seduced by the idea that one can use symmetry arguments as long as everything "inside some radius" is symmetric. For instance, we can use Gauss' law to find the electric field everywhere in space due to a charge of 1.0 Coulomb spread uniformly throughout a 1.0 meter radius sphere. Most trivially, we find that the field at the center of the sphere vanishes. But if we take a 1.0 picoCoulomb bite out of the very edge of the sphere, the electric field changes *everywhere* (except at a very specific point or points within the void left by the bite itself), including at the very center of the sphere.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona