Re: [Phys-l] induced electric field

Provide an initial velocity vector too, and I believe you are in business!

Brian W

Philip Keller wrote:
I'm in over my head...but I want to re-ask my question, and then I can work on the answer on my own:

"In a region in space where the magnetic field is steadily increasing at 1 T/s in the z-direction. A proton is released from rest at the point with (x,y,z) coordinates (1,0,0) . What is the magnitude and direction of the force that the proton experiences as a result of this changing field?"

Is this an answerable question as is or do I have to specify the boundary conditions that give rise to the increasing magnetic field? If it is answerable as is, what is the answer?! And why did the coordinates of the location matter?