Re: [Phys-l] Physics job opening in Texas for 2008-09

My goodness, how little room for individuatlity. Is this predestination run rampant? See below:

On Sun, 11 May 2008, John Clement wrote:

Of course most PhDs are not trained to teach, except for ones that
specialize in PER.
How coudt you possibly know this?

I happen to be one who went to RPI because it had a
reputation for good teaching, and I came to PER naturally, but when I left
research, I also studied PER.

In defense of PhDs, they should understand physics better than the average
teacher going into HS, and they have the research skills to become better.
The big problem is that they have paradigms that may prevent them from
becoming better.
Every Ph D has such a paradigm? Maybe there are a couple
who sneak off on the side and get washed in the blood of the PER
lamb?

But traditional HS teachers also have paradigms that
prevent them from becoming better. Traditionally trained teachers tend to
use traditional methods no matter the level of education.

And traditional methods are per se wrong? Sommerfeld, Pauli, and Feynman never saw the light of PER? There is only 1 effective way to teach? How could anyone possibly know this? It sounds to me like faith-based educational theory.
Regards,
Jack

As to using interactive techniques, I would recommend the teacher evaluation
form which correlates well with the ability to use inquiry.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I can't speak for TVS but I have been on the hiring committee for several
independent schools, and we have this to say about Ph.D.'s: they don't
teach very well.

Of course, most other people don't teach very well either, but Ph.D.'s
don't show any particular ability to teach over regular hires, probably
because most PhD programs spend little time teaching their students how to
teach and what they do teach is horribly inappropriate for the high school
setting. I am not saying that PhD's are necessarily worse, I'm just saying
that they are not necessarily better.

The increased knowledge from from a PhD is rarely if ever useful for a
high school teacher.

Thus, PhD want more money and often get it, their contribution to a school
is often small compared to a teacher who has spent the same time to get
more experience teaching. While some schools are currently pushing for
more advanced degrees among their teachers, it is really a response to
some colleges who have programs, especially in the humanities, that
require surprisingly few classes to get a degree.

To make a new hire, my current school talks with the teacher severals
times, speaks to his or her colleagues, and has them audition through a
sample lesson in front of students. And, yes, Mr. Clement, we check to see
if they are using interactive techniques.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay