Re: [Phys-l] failure is always an option

With respect to my post about how HS class rank is a better predictor of college success than GPA or even ACT... Marty said, "That's not what happens. "

I beg to differ. It is possible what I experience here is different than what Marty experiences, but I am pretty certain about northwest Ohio. At various times I have served on the university-wide Admissions and Scholarship Committee, and on the Retention Committee, and on the Strategic Planning Committee. I chaired the Science Department for over 15 years and closely monitored success in our science programs against the HS class rank, GPA, and ACT scores. I still have all the data tucked away in spreadsheets.

Success in our science programs most closely correlates with class rank, next with ACT, last with GPA. I did not need to supply this information to Vice President for Enrollment Management because he already knew it. Also, we are in reasonably-friendly competition for students with three other private colleges and one public community college and a branch campus of Ohio State University... all within 20 miles of Bluffton. I communicate with the science faculty of the private schools all the time. They see the very same thing I see.

I can tell you that on average we like to see a student who is in the top 10% of her high-school class, and has a composite ACT score of 27 or higher, and fairly consistent performance across the four ACT areas. If a person has an ACT score of 30, and a GPA of 3.75, but has class rank below roughly 80%, there is a good chance he is bright but not very motivated. Some like this will rise to the challenge of college. But many, when the going gets rough, drop out or at least seek a less demanding major. If the ACT is 30 and the GPA is 3.75 and the class rank is 95% or above, she is bright and motivated, and went to a school where grade inflation is not too bad.

Also, if the ACT composite is 27, but the science was 31 and the writing was 23, something is wrong. This student might not be able to write lab reports, and might not even be able to speak very well. If the class rank is high but the ACT is very low, this also indicates something is wrong. So it is true we look at several things, but the single best predictor is the class rank.

I might also point out that since students and parents know class rank is important, and especially since some colleges automatically give scholarships to valedictorians, this has fueled grade inflation and has fueled the tendency to take easier courses in a quest to become the (or one of the) valedictorian(s). To the extent this happens, both the class rank as a predictor and the GPA as a predictor are eroding. To get around this, many colleges are holding on-campus competitions to determine who gets offered the most valuable scholarships. We still use class rank, ACT, and GPA to determine who gets invited to campus for the competition, but we can be fairly generous and invite students who, on paper, might not qualify for as high of a scholarship as the competition would award based on their rank or ACT or GPA. This way all competitors are on the same footing as they jump through the various hoops of the competition. We started having a scholarship competition about 5 years ago.

My daughter chose to attend the University of Cincinnati. In 2004 she competed in their scholarship competition. Her rank, ACT, and GPA got her invited to the competition, and guaranteed a certain level of scholarship. Her performance in the competition determined the final amount of the scholarship. It was pretty interesting because the competition would not result in her losing the level of money already awarded, but would provide the opportunity for the level to increase in several steps all the way to full tuition and books. Parents were also invited, so we spent the day in Cincinnati and received the usual recruiting propaganda as well as a clear picture of how the competition was handled. This may be the wave of the future because it allows the university to award scholarships based on their own criteria and their own observations of how well the students meet the criteria. There is a question of how much you can learn in one day, but at least it is an internal yardstick, and the competition group has already been narrowed down to a manageable size by the traditional external criteria.

It's clear these competitions are occurring because rank, ACT, and GPA are difficult to understand, and it's especially difficult to know if the external standards are being used appropriately and fairly.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive